Thursday, March 5, 2009

The NCAA Tournament Matrix

Trinity: I know why you're here, Brian. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep and why night after night, you sit by your computer. You're looking for it. I know because I was once looking for the same thing. I was looking for an answer. It's the question that drives us, Brian. It's the question that brought you here. You know the question, just as I did.

Brian: What seed will the Boston College Eagles get in the NCAAs?

Trinity: The answer is out there, Brian, and it's looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to.

Brian: While reading the Michigan blog mgoblog, I noticed this link to what he called the Bracket Matrix. I had never heard of such a thing and was generally curious. When I checked out this site, I was pretty impressed. The website aggregates 60 of the web's NCAA tournament bracket projections and produce a best-guess aggregation of the field of 65.

Be sure to check it out. "Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."

Here are some of the BC highlights:
  • 59 of 60 brackets have Boston College in the Field of 65. If you must, send your hate mail to this guy's tournament projection.
  • These individual projections average out to BC receiving the last #8 seed.
The distribution of seeds across the 59 brackets looks like this:
  • #7 seed - 6 sites - overly generous unless they are anticipating a strong run in the ACC Tournament
  • #8 seed - 23 sites - sounds about right
  • #9 seed - 19 sites
  • #10 seed - 11 sites - I checked the site yesterday before the loss to NC State and I think there were no sites seeding us #10 or below, so the Matrix is updated quite frequently.
If you are wondering who is in and who is out from the ACC based on The Matrix ... here are the conference's projections - (1) North Carolina, (2) Duke, (3) Wake Forest, (4) Clemson, (5) Florida State, (8) Boston College, and (11) Maryland.

First four out include both Virginia Tech and Miami (FL).

1 comment:

conlonc said...

Update: All brackets have us in the field - but our agg has dropped ever so slightly to the top #9. The only reason I can imagine is because so many bubble teams are losing. Thanks for the link. Great site.